The OASIS Coupler Forum

HOME

Coupling models with different grids

Up to Transformations and interpolations

Posted by Anonymous at April 29 2017

I have a WRF domain with non-regular lat-lon grid and a NEMO domain with a regular grid.

Is it possible to use OASIS to interpolate fields from regular lat-lon grid to non-regular one (and vice versa) during modelling ?

Or must I use identical grids for both models ?

Posted by Anonymous at May 2 2017

Hi,

Yes it is possible to do some remapping between fields defined on different grids when coupling with OASIS. You can find information on all the possible interpolations (DISTWEIGHT, BILINEAR, BICUBIC, CONSERVATIVE) in the User Guide, https://oasis.cerfacs.fr/wp-content/uploads/sites/114/2021/02/GLOBC-TR-oasis3mct_UserGuide3.0_052015.pdf, section 4.3.

I suggest you to begin with the toy model oasis3-mct/examples/test_interpolation which test the remapping of an analytical field between two different grids. The same analytical field is calculated on the source grid and on the target grid and the error between the remapping field and the analytical field on the target grid is evaluated to test the quality of the regridding. You can then compare the different remapping for your grids and choose the best for your case. You have explanations on how to adapt and run test_interpolation in the document oasis3-mct/examples/test_interpolation/test_interpolation.pdf

You can then use the remapping files created when running test_interpolation for you coupled model runs with OASIS.

Best regards, Laure
Reply to this